How to stream:
- Open YouTube in the browser or use the YouTube app.
- Sign in to an account.
- Search for “BTS [title track]” in the search bar.
- Select the video.
- Play the entire music video in 480P quality or higher at normal speed; with volume at 50% of the maximum or higher.
- Watch 3 – 4 other videos (preferably official BTS content) in-between.
- Repeat step 3 – 6.
- Avoid bot-like behavior. This implies that the music video should neither be looped nor streamed from multiple browsers on the same device, as YouTube will determine views from the same IP address as suspicious behavior, which may result in deleted views.
- Do not watch the music video in incognito mode.
- Do not delete the watch history as it allows YouTube to search and include the views.
- Continue streaming even if the view counter freezes; the views are still considered and will be updated later.
- Leave comments that are relevant to the video and refrain from spamming.
- Avoid streaming with playlists for the first 24 hours of the music video’s release.
- Do not mute the video sound on YouTube while streaming; instead, plug in headphones or earphones, or mute the device’s volume if using a computer.
- Do not watch unofficial videos such as reactions and lyric videos, at least for the first 24 hours; streaming the official music video is the main priority. It is recommended to turn on the captions on the official music video for lyrics translation.
- From time to time, watch the music video as a YouTube embedded video, which can be found in media articles and on Weverse. Views are counted more efficiently from embedded videos; however, remember to log into a YouTube account before watching or the streams will not be considered.
- The views on any official video with the song being the primary focus are considered for the Billboard charts. This includes official lyric videos provided by Big Hit, dance practice videos, TV performances, etc.
- During the first 24 hours, refrain from pausing, fast forwarding, or rewinding the music video.
- These rules are also applicable to YouTube Music, which is a paid service where one can download videos to watch offline. The music can be played in the background and the views will be added once online.
United States Billboard charts only: It is generally accepted that listening to the song for at least 30 seconds will be regarded as a stream, and only 50 streams per day will be considered for every account.
Why streaming on YouTube is important:
YouTube is currently one of the biggest video streaming platforms in the world. It has its own, unique trending list where the most popular videos of the time get featured and serve as a catered guide to whoever is looking to keep up with what is happening in their region. By streaming BTS’ music and performances, newer and bigger audiences across the world can be reached.
Apart from promotion, streams from YouTube also count for the Billboard charts. As of January 3rd, 2020, views from licensed video content providers (e.g. Big Hit) will count towards the Billboard 200 Albums chart.
NOTE: 1 album sale = 1,250 premium YouTube streams or 3,750 YouTube streams.
Creating a YouTube playlist: Do’s and Don’ts
There are few ways to make a YouTube Playlist:
Through a Profile
- Go to your YouTube profile and click on “Video Manager.”
- Under Video Manager, click on “Playlists,” then select “New Playlist.”
- Name the playlist, and click “Create.” You can change the visibility settings for your playlist here as well.
Navigating through YouTube
- To add a video to a playlist, select the “+” icon; it can either be added to an existing playlist or create a new one.
- Each video should link to the next and be related to a particular topic or theme (e.g. BTS Ballads). Consider the order to tell a story.
- Optimize the playlist for search by editing the title and description of your playlist.
- Add a compelling description that includes the keywords you want to target (e.g.Bangtan Boys, BTS, etc.).
- Choose an eye-catching thumbnail.
- Use the privacy settings. The playlist must be public.
- Make the playlist for BTS only. Add other content such as their collaborations, Bangtan Bombs, solo works, etc.