YouTube Music is a music streaming service developed by YouTube which replaced Google Play Music in December 2020.
YouTube Music counts towards Billboard charts, with streams and views from the Premium version being given more weightage.
There are two versions of YouTube Music:
- YouTube Music Free: Ad-supported music with no access to features available in the Premium version.
- YouTube Music Premium: Provides ad-free downloadable music, background play, access to exclusive content, and audio only mode.
NOTE: To learn which countries/regions YouTube Premium and YouTube Music Premium are available in, visit: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6307365.
YouTube Music Premium
- Open the YouTube Music app.
- Sign in to a Google account.
- Choose a profile picture.
- Start a free trial if eligible, else click “Get Music Premium.”
For more details on paid membership, visit: https://www.youtube.com/musicpremium.
Why YouTube Music Premium is important:
Streams and views from YouTube Music Premium count towards the Billboard Hot 100, Billboard 200, and Billboard Global charts.
Paid subscription and services such as YouTube Music Premium are given more weightage by Billboard, i.e.,1 equivalent album sale = 1,250 premium account streams = 3,750 free account streams.